Winter Activities in Kilpisjärvi
What do you think about three Country Northern Lights snowmobile trip? Ice fishing for Wild Arctic Char inside a warm mobile hut? Staying overnight in a Mobile hut in the middle of arctic wilderness? Or enjoy a dinner by the campfire on the lake ice under the northern lights?
Please wear hiking or winter boots. Bring a day-pack for water, camera and other personal things.
If you need, you can hire safari clothing (winter overalls, boots, socks, hat, cloves) at a supplement of 15€ / person.
We will take you to magnificent mountain landscape, over the frozen lakes. You will enjoy the comfortable ride while sitting on warm reindeer skins in the snowmobile sleigh. After 30 minute snowmobile ride we will arrive to the point of three Nordic countries. There we have unique chance to photograph Northern Lights and walk in all three countries, Finland, Sweden and Norway. After having hot drinks we will take you back to Kilpisjärvi village.
In a day trip, we can combine Ice-fishing to the trip - there are some good spots to catch a big fish!
- Duration: 2-3 hours
- Cost: 70€ / person
- Cost with ice-fishing: 120€ / person (total 4-5 hours).
- Includes: Guide, snowmobile transfers, icefishing equipments and hot drinks.
- This trip requires a minimum of 2 participants.
Ice-Fishing in a warm Hut
In bad weather, it is nice to do ice-fishing in a warmed-up hut :)
Arctic Char is our most common fish and the average size is approx. 0.5 - 1 kg. Our biggest Chars caught on ice rod have been almost 5 kg! (10+ lb).
This trip is well suited for families!
- Available: From December until May
- Duration: 3-4 hours.
- Cost: 300€ / 1-4 persons. For bigger groups - contact us!
- Includes: Fishing guide, snowmobile transfers from/to Kilpisjärvi village, ice fishing equipment, coffee/tea and cookies.
- On extra charge: Extra hours and meals - example delicious creamy reindeer soup or sausages on campfire.
Hut is also suitable for overnight stays. It is our most exciting accommodation for our guests, max. 2+1 persons. We have one mobile hut and sauna: without electricity and running water, but hut is heated and with one important detail: This mobile hut is located away from any light pollution (street lights, etc, .... ). So, here you have best chance to see Northern Lights! Cost and inquiries: Contact us!
Ice fishing trip!
Remember to bring your camera and very big smile :-)
- Duration: Half day or full day.
- Cost 3-4 hours: 80€ / person.
- Cost 7-8 hours: 150€ / person.
- Includes: Guide, snowmobile transfers, all ice fishing equipments and coffee/tea. Full day trip incl. sausages/sandwich on campfire.
This trip requires a minimum of 4 participants. If we have less than 4 participants, the trip may be cancelled.
Guided snowshoe hike!
Enjoy the Lapland wilderness on a guided snowshoe hike. Come explore the top of The Lapland, Kilpisjärvi by snowshoes. Trip is around 2 km long, takes around 1-2 hours, and moderate in level. Your guide will point out and discuss the flora and fauna of North Lapland. You may even see a willow grouse, fox, reindeer or eagle!
You can choose day trip or night trip with chance of the Northern Lights!
- Duration: 1-2 hours. Depending on your condition.
- Cost: 120€ / 1-2 persons.
- Includes: Guide, snowshoes and hot drinks.
- Available: On request.
Searching for Northern Lights by snowmobile sleigh!
During this trip you will reach the summit of the mountain easily on a snowmobile sleigh. The snowmobile is driven by a professional guide so you may just sit and enjoy!
We also make a fire in the hut and enjoy warm drinks while watching the sky. The appearance of the lights is not guaranteed but the chances are the best possible.
- Cost: 1 hour: 40€ / person
- Cost: 3 hours: 70€ / person
- Includes: Guide, snowmobile transfers and coffee/tea.
- Note: 1 hour trip doesn't incl. snacks.
This trip requires a minimum of 2 participants.
4 WD Northern Lights Hunting!
Our 4 WD Wilderness Northern Lights Tour is designed for autumn/early winter, between September - early December when we dont have enough snow for driving by snowmobiles.
For this tour we use a 4 x 4 Jeep. This tour is perfect for 2 to 4 people (plus 1 or 2 kids) maximum. A perfect choice for honeymooners, photographers or families.
During this trip you will reach the summit of the mountain easily on a 4 WD Jeep. Driving on top of a treeless fells can only be done in the right vehicle and our Land Cruiser is more than equipped for this adventure.
The off-road adventure is approximately 6-8 hours in duration and includes a campfire sausages, snacks and coffee/tea. Vegetarian options upon request at time of booking. Pick up and return from your accommodation. Usually we start at 4-6 pm. and be back at Kilpisjärvi after midnight, depending on the Aurora forecast.
During our Wilderness Northern Lights tour our guide will share stories of life in Lapland and also background of the area and the Northern Lights.
- Duration: 6-8 hours.
- Cost: 600€ / Jeep / group.
- Includes: Guide, 4 WD transfers around fell area, personal aurora expert, photos of you and the Northern Lights,
- snacks, sausages and coffee/tea.
- Available: Private! On request.
Raittijärvi Sami village!
Raittijärvi is a unique village by any standard. It is situated about 40 kilometres from Kilpisjärvi in the middle of real wilderness. There is no road leading to the village. In summer it can be reached by plane only. In winter snowmobiles offer the easiest means of transportation. Raittijärvi is inhabited by Sami reindeer herders throughout the year.
Program: Let`s start snowmobile! We will drive in treeless fell landscape, over the frozen rivers and lakes. You will enjoy the comfortable ride while sitting on warm reindeer skins in the snowmobile sleigh.
After 1.5-2 hours we will arrive to Raittijärvi village. Here we can do Ice fishing, snowshoeing or just enjoy beautiful arctic views and photograph reindeers. Meals will be served in the cabin.
During this trip you will see how the real Sami reindeer families will survive in the arctic tundra! And we will have the possibility to see tens to hundreds of reindeers in their natural environment. During this excursion we have a unique chance to follow a local Sami reindeer herder to the fells where his flock of reindeers run free!
- Duration: 6-8 hours.
- Cost: 600€ / group 2-5 persons.
- Includes: Snowmobile sleigh transfers from/to Kilpisjärvi, ice fishing equipment, snowshoes, meal, coffee/hot drinks and guide services.
- Available: For 1-8 persons. On request!